Current Public Workshop Offering: Stopping the Cycle of Oppression
April 11 - 13, 2023
Embracing Language Liberation: Practices to Heal Our Connection to People and Place
Each of the 6,700 languages spoken today holds unique and valuable ways of seeing, knowing, being, and understanding. Our birth language is how we connect to ourselves, experience belonging, and make sense of the world. We are experiencing global language loss at an unprecedented rate. One language disappears from the planet every 14 days. How many languages have been lost in our own families? Communities? Language Oppression is the result of and perpetuates colonization, racism, climate change, assimilation, and genocide. Language Liberation is a set of practices and assumptions that: intentionally disrupt language dominance; support us to grieve, reclaim and revive lost languages; recognize the ongoing impacts and legacies of colonization and genocide; and ensure more equitable and just contributions, participation, and outcomes.
- Understood what language oppression is, how it operates, and how to interrupt it
- Recognized the wide-ranging and often unaware impacts of this loss on all of us, including inadvertently perpetuating language oppression, assimilation, and genocide
- Learned a variety of tools that can scale and flex to “language liberate” any event
- Experienced the power of healing using LJIST’s core listening practice
- Deepened our understanding of LJIST’s core theory of social transformation and its application to ending racism
- Know how to disrupt language dominance and create more language inclusive spaces
- Reconnect to and celebrate your mother tongue, birth language, and/or ancestral language(s)
- Center indigenous people, knowledge, and languages in the work to end colonization, genocide, and climate injustice
- Implement a variety of practices to language liberate your events, workplaces, and life
- Feel less shame for not being “fluent” or being monolingual
Who Is This For?
- Anyone who has lost or is losing their birth language or mother tongue (or seeing this happen in their child(ren))
- Anyone who is actively working to reclaim or revive languages that have been lost in their ancestral line
- Anyone who is monolingual or has become monolingual because of language oppression.
- Anyone who facilitates or leads multilingual spaces and/or groups
- Anyone who is leading in the climate emergency and wants to better understand how to back and support indigenous leadership
“Language Liberation affirms our capacity to heal from language oppression and reclaim, hold on to, and revitalize languages that have been lost or are in the process of being lost.”
– Nanci E. Luna Jiménez
- Each virtual workshop includes 9 hours of live facilitated content, 3+ hours of asynchronistic learning materials (videos, handouts, and reflection activities), and access to LJIST team via Slack for 2 weeks prior to and 1 week after the workshop.
- Up to 32 participants.
- This workshop is only available virtually.
- Workshops are delivered Tuesday through Thursday, 10:00 am – 1:00 pm Pacific / 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Eastern Each Day.*
*Contact us to book outside of these hours. An “After Hours” fee may apply for workshops scheduled outside of Monday – Thursday 10 am – 4 pm Pacific.
- Attend the workshop in its entirety: all three hours on all three days of the workshop.
- Complete approximately 2-3 hours of pre-work: watching short videos, reviewing handouts, completing reflections, printing or downloading workshop worksheets. This pre-work will be shared no later than 10 days before the workshop begins.
- Complete approximately 30 minutes of homework on the first and second days of the workshop.
- Join the Zoom meeting with video and audio capabilities and do not share the Zoom link with others.
- Agree to our LJIST Limited Media and Liability Waiver in the checkout form.
The following prerequisites are highly recommended:
- Participants attend LJIST’s 3-hour Getting Listened To session, included in the workshop fee.
Host a Workshop
Attend a Workshop
Your team is achieving something the world rarely sees. The competence is astounding.
The atmosphere you create is just BEAUTIFUL. Thank you!
I never cease to be blown away by the impact of these experiences/workshops.